Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Portfolio Expansions

My first semester in culinary school at the CIA is just about over (what?!) and I'd like to take the chance to share what I've been up to other than cake. I have learned more in the past 15 weeks than probably the past 15 years of baking at home by myself. We learn how to do, why we do, another way to do, and what we can use to do. I am now an encyclopedia for all things sugary, flour-y, fruity and chocolate-y. Just ask my poor sister, who made the mistake of asking me the simple question of can she substitute baking soda for baking powder in cookies (twenty minute explanation later, I finally told her 'no'). Between my awesome class and my awesome instructors, everyday here is a learning experience and a chance to improve. Here's a small sampling of what I've been up to:


Marble and streusel pound cake


 Sugar cookies


Roulade (aka jelly roll) sponge cake with raspberry jam filling


Buttermilk biscuits


Angel food cake


Pies on pies on pies...blueberry, pecan and apple from top to bottom


Eclairs 


Creme caramel - the first dessert we actually sent to the dining hall to be eaten


Croissants and pain au chocolate 


Lemon merengue pie


The "CIA" cake. We have to do this for our skills test and my second term practical before I will leave for externship. You didn't hear this from me, but this is possibly the grossest cake I have ever tasted...


Chocolate pot de creme 


Creme brulee


What our bakeshop looks like after a successful day in rotations. Each row of tables makes about four different things for critique every Wednesday!


My oh-so-talented sisters. I spend just about every waking moment with these beautiful ladies.

Although these products are not cake, I can apply just about every technique I learned making them to making cakes, frostings, fillings and decorations. These products were all made in my Baking Techniques course, which was my production class for the past 13 weeks. My class is two weeks, one final and one skills test away from our second semester at the CIA. Much more deliciousness to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment