Thursday, February 6, 2014

Red Poppy Wedding Cake

Back in August I started work on a dummy (styrofoam) cake with the intention of building it in layers to practice some new techniques I've been wanting to try. It started out with lots of plain white ruffles:


And then those ruffles got a paint job, making them pop out more against the white cake and look a little bit less like petals and a little bit more like strings or frills.


And now, they've grown into bright and beautiful poppies. Straight outta The Wizard of Oz ya'll.


Styrofoam cake for the win. I loved seeing how many different cakes I could stretch out of one! Poppies are one of my favorite flowers and I did them in a slightly abstract style, purposefully leaving brush strokes for a painted look.


I think I might like it without the leaves even better:


Same design, three really different ways. Which is your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment