Friday, July 19, 2013

Friday Faves

Sometimes I wonder where people went for inspiration before Pinterest. No but seriously- I was a cake decorator long before Pinterest was born, but now that I have it it's hard to imagine my work life without my precious database of beauty and crafts. I've found Pinterest to be an invaluable tool when it comes to both brainstorming and communicating with a client. I frequently find myself on idea overload when designing a cake, and it can be hard to explain what I'm thinking. Pinterest helps to communicate ideas visually instead of verbally so that I can . Brides can post pictures to the same board that I created for them and leave comments on what they like or don't like. It's the perfect way for me to access and share ideas for cakes, and now I'm going to share my favorite finds and what I'm currently digging here each Friday:

Favorite cake:


Wedding Cake

This spring-y tiered cake from Confetti Cakes that combines the smooth, flat surface of fondant and the 3-D pop of gumpaste hydrangeas. I love how they're coming out of the sides of the cake instead of the more traditional way of sitting on the ledges in between the tiers.

Favorite new technique:


The idea of painting pretty flowers on fondant from Amelie's House. Opposite of the 3-D gumpaste, this type of flowering makes the cake look like it's covered in wallpaper. Although the flowers still have depth, the surface of the cake remains smooth and is more transportable.

Favorite cake stand: 
Sarah's cake stands

This natural beauty cake stand from Sarah's Cake Stands. If money were no object, I'd have 50 of these bad boys. All of her cake stands are the perfect pedestals to showcase desserts and layer cakes. 

Favorite DIY idea:


This is an AWESOME IDEA for a dessert display from Simply Sweet Weddings. It's cost effective, it's chic, it's functional. I may have spent last weekend scouring antique stores for a step ladder...

Favorite Quote:

A party without cake is just a meeting. - Julia Child has her priorities straight.

 And lastly, this quote from the lovely Julia Child. I think we could have done some serious damage together over a piece of cake. It just doesn't get any better!

Hope your weekend is off to a creative start! Follow me on Pinterest for more inspiration and to see what cakes I'm bakin' up lately.  


No comments:

Post a Comment